What is a cookie?
A cookie It is a text file harmless which is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of cookie It is that the web is able to remember your visit when I return to surf this page. Although many people do not know the cookies They have been in use for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web.
What it is not a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan, a worm, or spam or spyware. It doesn’t open pop-up windows.
What information is stored in a cookie?
Cookies do not store sensitive or personal information. They store technical data, personal browsing preferences, content customization, etc.
The web server will not relate this data to you-it will associate it with your web browser. In fact, if you use Internet Explorer and try to access the same website with other browsers (Firefox or Chrome, for instance) you will find out that the web server does not provides the same personalized contents, because they identity the web browser, not the person.
Types and uses of cookies
- Technical Cookies: These are the most basic. They allow us to know when the website is being browsed by a human or by a program, or by a registered or an anonymous user. These are basic tasks for the proper function of a dynamic website.
- Analytic Cookies: These collect information about your browsing, which sections do you visit more often, timeframe, language, etc.
- Advertising Cookies: They show ads depending on your country of origin, language, browsing habits, etc.
Own and third party cookies
Our website generates their own cookies. Third party cookies are those generated by outside services or suppliers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if cookies are disabled?
Here it is a few examples of what happens when cookies are disabled:
- You won’t be able to share website contents on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt contents to your personal preferences (as happens in online shops).
- You will not have access to your personalized area (such, for instance, mi account, my profile, or my orders).
- Online shop: it is not possible to make online purchases. Without cookies, all purchases must be made by telephone, or in a physical store, if available.
- It is not possible to personalize personal preferences.
- It is not possible to analyze traffic and visitor data, which will make your website less competitive.
- You will not be able to post on the blog, nor upload pictures, publish comments, value or rate contents. The website won’t be able to know if you are human or a automatic program.
- Your website will not be able to show personalized ads. This will reduce advertising revenue.
Is it possible to delete Cookies?
Cookies can be deleted. They can also be blocked (from all websites, or from a specific domain).
To delete the cookies of a given website, go to your browser configuración de su navegador y allí podrá buscar las asociadas al dominio en cuestión y proceder a su eliminación.
Cookie configuration for the most popular browsers
Google Chrome. Note: these steps might change depending on the browser version.
- Click on the configuración menu.
- Click on Mostrar opciones avanzadas.
- Go to Privacidad, Configuración de contenido.
- Select Todas las cookies y los datos de sitios.
- Use the buscar cookies button to find out the cookies you are looking for.
- Select the cookies you want to disable.
Internet Explorer Note: these steps might change depending on the browser version.
- Click on Herramientas, Opciones de Internet
- Click on Privacidad.
- Under Settings, move the slider to the top to block all cookies or to the bottom to allow all cookies.
Mozilla Firefox (these steps might change depending on the browser version):
- Click on Opciones or Preferencias, depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacidad.
- At Historial select Usar una configuración personalizada para el historial.
- Select or deselect Aceptar cookies.
Safari for OSX (Note: these steps might change depending on the browser version):
- Go to Preferencias, then to Privacidad.
- Go to Bloquear cookies to adjust your preferences.
Safari for iOS (Note: these steps might change depending on the browser version):
- Go to Ajustes, then Safari.
- Go to Privacidad y Seguridad. Go to Bloquear cookies to adjust your preferences.
Android devices (Note: these steps might change depending on the browser version):
- Open your web browser. Click on Menu, then on Ajustes.
- Go to Seguridad y Privacidad. The Aceptar cookies option will enable or disable cookies.
Windows Phone (Note: these steps might change depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer, then click on Más, then on Configuración
- Click on Permitir cookies to adjust your preferences.
Asesor de Cookies is a plugin for WordPress created by Carlos Doral (webartesanal.com)